Friday, November 18, 2011

Tip #3: Getting Organized

Getting photos out of the camera seems to be a problem for some. It also seems that every camera manufacturer supplies a special program to move and organize your photos. There are even special, third-party applications that claim to know better ways to manage your stuff than you do. I am very picky about my photo storage, and none of the applications I have tried let me do it my way.

I choose simplicity and repeatability. I like to create folders according to date and event and move the photos from the camera to those folders (directories). My preferred method of moving photos is to pull the memory card out of the camera and use a card reader that is attached to a USB port. I simply treat the card reader as another disk drive on my computer and copy the photos from the memory card folder to a newly created folder on my computer. The second method is to use a cable supplied by the camera manufacturer and connect the camera directly to my computer. I rarely use the second method, because the transfer process consumes camera battery power. My naming convention for new folders is straight forward. I create a parent folder named for the year, e.g. 2011, then I create subfolders for each photo shoot by date and event, e.g. 11-18-Smith-Wedding. The process works for me.




[Back to the Main Site]