Monday, November 28, 2011

Tip #13: What I Use

In previous posts I have written, generically, about photo editing software. In this tip I will describe the software that I use.

Since I shoot Nikon cameras in raw mode, I searched for software that would specifically work well with Nikon raw files. For full-screen viewing and basic edits, I use ViewNX 2. This software came with my camera and works with jpeg and raw file types. You can download it for free at Nikon.

The Nikon web site also recommended Capture NX 2 for more extensive edits. This software uses a remarkable technology from Nik Software, called upoint. During a photography trade show, I was introduced to other Nik software tools, namely Color Efex Pro, Silver Efex Pro, and HDR Efex Pro. I purchased each of these software packages and use them on a near daily basis. You can learn more at Nik Software.

For simple compositing tasks, I use an old copy of Paint Shop Pro. I have been using this software since my early web design days. There are newer versions, but I manage to get by with version 7, since it provides the capabilities that I use. [Update] I have upgraded to PSP X5. The user interface is vastly improved and memory management is much better. I needed the new functionality to handle the very large images that I typically edit. The old version would not correctly display the large files.

For panoramas, I use Microsoft ICE. This software is free and does an amazing job of stitching multiple images together. It handles lighting changes across the scene better than other paid-for packages that I have tried. You can find it at Microsoft.

Finally, I use Google's Picasa software for uploading family snapshots to web albums. Picasa also has bulk photo processing capabilities for tasks like resizing and adding a watermark to a collection of photos. You can download this free tool at Google.

[Update 2014] In January 2014, I began using Adobe Lightroom 5. Lightroom is now the first step in my digital workflow. It catalogs, it edits, it exports, and it allows publication in various formats. My other software integrates nicely within the workflow. With Lightroom, I can also automate repetitive tasks that were either disjoint or missing from the other software packages. I resisted for a long time; now I am a believer!


[Back to the Main Site]