Friday, November 25, 2011

Tip #10: File Formats

"I Shoot RAW" is Jared Polin's tag line. Raw is also the file format that I shoot on my cameras. The raw format is essentially a dump of the sensor after a photo is taken. Raw files contain the maximum amount of information available for a given image; however, raw files do require post processing, using software that understands the raw format for a given camera.

There are countless discussions in online forums on the pros and cons of raw versus jpeg. The bottom line is that there are appropriate times to use both formats. I choose to shoot raw, because I enjoy the post processing aspect of my photography. If I had to get photos moved quickly from my camera to a wire service, then I would use the jpeg format. When cameras allow it, many pros will shoot both formats simultaneously.

If photo processing is not your cup of tea, then by all means stick with the web standard, jpeg format for easy posting of your images.


[Back to the Main Site]