Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Tip #85: Image Straightening

When it comes to straightening photos, I think I have seen most of the user interfaces for completing the task. There are dialog boxes for entering a number of degrees; there are grids to align; there are twirly things to click and rotate; there are sliders; and there are lines to draw.

In my opinion, drawing a line on either a crooked horizon or a vertical edge that needs straightening is about the simplest of the user interfaces. In Capture NX2 that is the technique that I use. Here are the before and after images of my editor in action.





Presto change-o! no muss, no fuss.

Note: Just so you know, I exaggerated the angle in the "before" image to make the point clear. My actual adjustment to the horizon in the original photo was less than a degree.


[Back to the Main Site]