Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Tip #42: Watermarks

This tip is a bit on the technical side. You will need software that can create and apply a transparent layer, such as Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Paintshop, or other similar product.

A watermark is a "stamp" that is applied to a photograph to help indentify the owner of the photo. While it is not a perfect security system, it does make copyright infringement issues a bit easier. There are other means for photo identity security, and watermarks are just one method in my arsenal. You have probably seen my watermark -- images posted with the Awestruck-Images logo from my main web site, Awestruck Images.

I recently developed a new watermark that uses my signature. Here's how I did it.
  1. With a ballpoint pen, I autographed a plain white sheet of paper.

  2. I scanned the signature at high resolution (600 dots per inch). If you don't have a scanner, then just use your camera to capture the image.

  3. I loaded the resulting TIFF into my photo editor.

  4. I performed an edge-preserving-smooth operation on the image, twice.

  5. I performed a de-speckle operation to make the "signature" nice and dark.

  6. With a selection tool, I selected the different pieces of the signature and saved the signature as a transparent layer.


To use the new watermark, I load a photo to be edited, then I layer the watermark on top of the image. Because the watermark is it's own layer I can adjust its transparency or use the negative of the image as needed for differently colored photographs. When I am satisfied with the result, I merge the layers together and save the final image. An example of the new watermark is in Tip #38.


[Back to the Main Site]