Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Tip #49: Eye-Fi

Have you been looking for an easy way to transfer photos, wirelessly, from your camera to a smartphone or tablet? Does your camera use SD memory cards? If the answer to both is yes, then this tip is for you. An Eye-Fi card will do this and more. It will even let you shoot with a direct connection between your camera and an iPad.

I followed Terry White's lead and set up my D7000 with an Eye-Fi card in the second slot. The primary card is set up to store raw NEF files. The camera is set up to write basic jpeg images to the second slot. I set up the Eye-Fi card to act as a WiFi hot spot, and I set my iPad to connect to the Eye-Fi. Now, when each device is powered up and "paired", a copy of my most recent shot appears within a second or two as a full-display image on the iPad. It's like being tethered but without the cables.

If you only have one SD card slot, that will work, too. Just use the Eye-Fi card in that slot. The WiFi functionality will be the same.


[Back to the Main Site]