Thursday, January 5, 2012

Tip #51: Skylight Filter

In yesterday's tip I reduced the noise from a pretty good photo. Today, I enhance the sunset in the same photo to make the image come alive. I got the idea of using the Skylight filter from Moose Peterson, renowned outdoor photographer.

With the image loaded in Capture NX2, I finished the edit by choosing the Skylight filter from the Color EFEX Pro 3 plug-ins that are integrated in my copy of Capture NX2. I liked the way the sunset went from drab to bright. Then, I added a second use of the same filter. The result was like magic. Tastes may vary on color intensity; however, the use of stacked filters is an idea that everyone can use.

Before Skylight Filter:


After Skylight Filter #1:


After Skylight Filter #2:







Now to reveal the finished edit, here's the photo before edits:

Photo -- Randy Wohlert (this was a self portrait -- camera sitting on a stump with a timer set)




And, here's the completed photo that I returned to my friend:

Edits -- Dave Rackley



[Back to the Main Site]