Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Tip #56: Blogging with Links

If you have been watching closely, you have noticed at least two behaviors with links that I use in my blog articles. For links that point back to my own material, I let the new page open in the same window (or tab) as the original article. For links to external resources, I cause the new material to open in a new window (or tab). I do that for a couple of reasons: I want you to stay on my site, and I want the external links to come up in the format that was designed by that article writer. Here's how the code for external links work:

  1. Create the link in your article.

  2. Once the link is created, find the edit html link or button, and move to the code with your newly created link. It will look something like

    <a href="http://www.link-to-external-site.com">External Link</a>


  3. Add target="info" to the link, so that it looks like this

    <a target="info" href="http://www.link-to-external-site.com">External Link</a>


  4. Return to your normal editing mode and post your article. When your blog visitors click on your link, a new window will open with the external information that you have linked.


BTW, the word, "info", has no special meaning. It is just the name of the new window that opens up. You could call it, George, if you wanted to.



[Back to the Main Site]