Sunday, January 15, 2012

Tip #61: Reviewing and Tagging Photos

Not every photo that you take will be noteworthy, so you will need some way to score the images. In the workflow tip, I described my process for culling photos. Here's a bit more information. ViewNX 2 is the free software I use to do initial viewing and ranking. As I view each image, I click on a ranking button from 1 to 10. The ranking is stored in the image file and is available to my main editing software, Capture NX 2.



In simple terms a so-so image with no rank gets no attention during editing. A photo with a rank of at least three gets attention. For me, edited photos that have good potential for designation as "keeper" get higher ranks added during the editing process. As clients select photos for purchase, the rankings change, yet again.



These extra, ranking steps take almost no time to do, but they save me minutes to hours in the overall process of producing quality images.




[Back to the Main Site]